QUALITIES OF A GOOD CANNED CAT FOOD!
Our current times make me even more thankful that I have been given this chance to do the good work I am through ReNewedPet and with my pet health/behavior consults, and our kitten fostering, because not only am I able to help animals through my work, but helping to teach all of you how to keep your babies healthy and emotionally happy is one more thing in YOUR life that you can focus on in a positive light and not an additional source of stress, because we all know how horribly stressful it is when any of our babies are not well!
So let’s get to this week’s pet-tip shall we! Last week was my Part I (benefits of a canned cat food diet) in our new series “All About Canned Cat Food Diets!” This week I zone in further and give you the 5 qualities of what makes a good canned cat food.
Top Qualities of a Good Canned Cat Food:
1. Be sure the food is “complete and balanced for all life stages” – this means that the formula excels in nutrients compared to foods which are just “for maintenance.” Growing kittens, pregnant and nursing animals have greater nutrient needs.
2. The food label should say that it has been “formulated to meet the AAFCO requirements.” This ensures the food is meeting at least the minimum nutrient requirements as outlined by the American Academy of Feeding Control Officials for cats and dogs.
3. The food should be grain, soy, wheat, diary & gluten free.
4. It is best if the food is form whole foods; the more actually meats, vegetables, and fruits you see listed the better versus added synthetic vitamins/minerals and by-products.
5. This is hard to find in a canned food diet for cats, but ideally the food should be free of potatoes, beans and peas as well, as these are not good sources of protein for our cats, and can also limit the amount of vital amino acids which are absorbed to critical areas like the heart!
As I mentioned last week, a canned diet is NOT an ideal diet, because it is still processed not fresh food, so I always recommend making sure you are adding as much fresh foods as possible to your pet’s diet AND adding a great quality Pet Vitamin to help balance out any lack of nutrients being consumed regularly. We are happy to be an authorized retailer of Nupro Whole Food Pet Vitamins for Cats & Dogs, which are fantastic, I have personally used on my pets for years, affordable, and EASY to serve even to picky cats like my boy Stubbin… they just munch them down like a treat!
“Give your pets the BEST of the Natural Life!”
Sincerely, your PetCoach