Pet Water Fountains to help increase water intake – could potentially save your pets life!
Okay we are getting close to wrapping up our conversation about urinary pet health… it has been a few weeks because there is SO much to discuss – and we can’t wrap it up without talking about the importance of a pet water fountain! A well designed, pet water fountain can greatly help to increase your pets water intake which not only improves their health over-all… but because urinary tract infections, and urinary blockages can quickly become life-threatening, this extra water could even save your cats life!
The increased water can improve your pets health by:
- Reducing the concentration of urine which will then have a lesser chance of bacteria reproducing and crystal forming to cause Urinary Tract Infections.
- Improved skin healthy through increased moisture in the skin cells.
- Improved lymph function as water helps to stimulate lymph drainage keeping the body clear of toxins and infection.
- Colon health; increased water helps in pets who are at risk of chronic constipation like elderly pets.
The importance of increasing water intake can be especially critical for our kitty babies as they; being originally desert animals, do not have much of a thirst-drive. In nature, a cat gets 90% of their daily water needs simply from the prey they catch and eat, making additional drinking of water not very critical.
A pet water fountain an help stimulate your pet to drink additional water because it triggers their natural instinct that in nature they innately know “moving water=fresh water.” In nature, an animal will always choose moving water over stagnant water whenever given a choice, because the moving water will be more fresh and less contaminated with potential bacteria, molds, parasites, where-as stagnant, “un-moving water” is a much higher risk for these infectious things. Have you ever noticed your cat or dog pawing at their water dish before drinking? This behavior acutely demonstrates ours pets desires to have their water moving before drinking, so a good water fountain just naturally draws them to it.
In addition to a good quality water fountain, a few other things you can do to help ensure your pet gets enough water is to add additional water to their food, give your pets several water dishes and different fountains throughout your home to choose from. Also, give them fresh quality filtered water (like reverse osmosis water) DAILY!
I have used several different types of water fountains through the years, and I have come to personally like and recommend a ceramic water fountain like this one here best because:
1. Plastic water fountains can build-up bacteria as plastics are naturally porous, as well as if a pet digs and claws at the fountain when drinking which many do, bacteria can build-up within the damaged structure.
2. Stainless Steel fountains tend to collect hard-water deposits.
3. Ceramic is easy to clean, and will last for years and years.
4. Ceramic fountains are also heavier so they are not as easy to be tipped over and spilled by young rambunctious pets.
This particular fountain can be found and purchased online @
Keep your pet safe and healthy when using a water fountain:
1. Clean it ideally daily, but at least 2-3 times per week to prevent bacteria build-up.
2. Be sure to change the filters regularly as instructed.
3. Be sure to keep enough water in the fountain to prevent the motor from over-heating and burning out with no water to circulate.
4. Wash wish a natural dish-soap, hydrogen peroxide or white vinegar.
STAY TUNED... more on keeping your pets Urinary Health well coming up… next up…. THIS pet-safe all natural fruit which greatly helps reduce urinary infections in pets.
Thank you for being GREAT pet-parents and “Giving your pets the BEST of the Natural Life!”
For personalized one-on-one coaching for any health or behavior issues in your pets simply schedule a consult now @ renewedpet.com/collections/holistic-health-pet-consults
Sincerely your PetCoach,
April Arguin A.S., C.P.N., P.M.H.